Walkie-talkies are indispensable for hunting, hiking or open air. A smartphone may run out of battery, and gadgets operating on radio waves will remain in touch. Therefore, portable intercoms are very popular when traveling or on vacation.
There are a variety of models on the market from both professional and amateur levels. Our rating of walkie-talkies includes the mass segment devices, which are not inferior in characteristics to professional devices.
The best walkie-talkie for hunting and fishing TurboSky T5
- VOX function;
- PTT option;
- 158 codes;
- IPX4 protection;
- 199 channels.
The rating of walkie-talkies for hunting and fishing is opened by an advanced model from the TurboSky company. It supports the required encryption standards and is capable of operating on 199 channels. The device has a 5W transmitter. But this value can be changed manually. The sensitivity is at the level of 0.22 μV. There is a noise cancellation option, as well as a decent 500mW speaker.
Wearable radio broadcasts in the range of 400-470 MHz. There is a voice activation function, as well as a “click to talk” option. You can scan and monitor channels. All of this is housed in a waterproof case (IPX4 standard) with a display and a detachable external antenna. There is an option to lock the keyboard, the ability to copy settings between radios. A Li-Pol battery with a capacity of 1500 mAh is installed.
An excellent model for hunting in the forest. A clear reception in the mountains, behind an array of trees. The sound quality is on par. A walkie-talkie is also suitable for mountains. Decent range. The built-in battery lasts for 2-3 days of active work.
An excellent option for skiers, as the device, can operate at temperatures of -55 degrees Celsius. Also suitable for hunting in winter. The voice activation option allows you to start negotiations. Convenient for work.
- Push To Talk function;
- autonomy three days;
- protected case;
- 199 broadcast channels;
- backlit display.
- Not found.
The best walkie-talkie for tourism Motorola Talkabout T82 Extreme
- Range of 10 km;
- CTCSS, DCS coding;
- autonomy 18 hours;
- can operate on batteries;
- 121 code.
A miniature device heads top walkie-talkies for tourism from Motorola. The device supports coding systems CTCSS, DCS, broadcasts on 8 channels, has a range within a radius of 10 kilometers. There are iVOX, PTT options; you can scan and monitor channels. The radio broadcasts in the frequency range 446.01–446.09 MHz. You can turn on the noise canceling in the machine.
The case is protected from moisture and has small dimensions. The antenna is not removable. A backlit screen is provided. There is a Ni-MH battery with a capacity of 800 mAh. But the device can also operate on conventional AA batteries (in the amount of three pieces). The set includes two radios, a docking station, and a carrying case. There is also a good quality headset. The radio is capable of working for 18 hours.
Motorola’s devices are the longest-range miniature walkie-talkies. The Talkabout T82 Extreme model does not strain when worn for a long time, works at a distance of 10 kilometers, has a powerful transmitter, and supports CTCSS and DCS coding systems.
These are the best household stations in their segment. They can be used even within the city: houses and other obstacles will not interfere. There is IPX4 case protection.
- broadcasting on 446.01-446.09 MHz;
- range 10 km;
- iVOX, PTT functions;
- keypad lock;
- informative display;
- work from batteries;
- autonomy 18 hours;
- 8 available channels.
- not found.
Best Professional Radio Station Motorola DP2400
- 16 channels;
- repeater mode;
- IPX5 protection;
- Autonomy 11.5 h.
Professional walkie-talkie from Motorola, which has a 5-watt transmitter. The device can operate on 16 channels. There is a quick tuning to the emergency channel. There is an option to switch the transmitter power. The gadget can work as a repeater. There is a possibility of activation by voice, as well as a Push To Talk function. There is also monitoring and scanning of channels.
This model got into the rating of radio stations due to its stable signal. It has its own 1500 mAh Li-Ion battery. It is enough for 11.5 hours of work. All this is housed in shockproof housing with protection against water (IPX5 class). There was also a place for a 500 mW speaker. The device can operate at temperatures from minus 30 to plus 60 degrees Celsius.
A portable radio station with impressive performance. It is used in the professional field. It has a stable signal in all conditions—range over 10 km. The battery lasts for about 12 hours of operation (that is, a whole day). Wide frequency range supported. A fully protected enclosure allows for use in hazardous environments. The only drawback is the cost.
- speaker 500 mW;
- protected case;
- Push To Talk and VOX;
Best Budget Universal Walkie Talkie Baofeng UV-5R
- The radius of 10 kilometers;
- high sensitivity;
- support for all coding standards;
- many channels (128).
The universal walkie-talkie from Baofeng, leading the rating of budget devices, has a 5-watt classic-type transmitter. Works in all known encryption standards. The sensitivity of the transmitter is 0.2 μV. One of 128 channels can be selected. There is an option to switch the transmitter power. There are VOX (voice activation), Push To Talk functions.
The radio can scan and monitor channels and can be programmed from a computer. On the case, there is a removable antenna, informative backlit display, flashlight. The 1800 mAh battery allows the device to work for 12 hours. A speaker with a power of 1000 mW is installed. It is possible to connect a headset, as well as an option to adjust the volume. The device operates in the temperature range from -20 to 60 ° C.
A portable radio station suitable for hunting in the forest. According to the owners, it has good sensitivity, does not respond to obstacles. A great option for travel and hiking. Holds a charge for 12 hours. There is even a built-in flashlight.
Supports coding systems CTCSS, DCS, DTMF, which are the most popular. It broadcasts on the frequencies 136-174 MHz, 400-520 MHz. You can activate the radio by voice. There is a 1000mW speaker.
- autonomy 12 hours;
- encryption according to all standards;
- speaker for 1000 mW;
- transmitter 5 W;
- power adjustment;
- PTT function;
- there is a flashlight.
- There is no instruction in Russian.
How to choose a walkie-talkie
Now let’s talk about choosing a portable radio station. Before going to the store, it is worth considering the characteristics of the models of interest.
We will tell you how to choose the right walkie-talkie and what parameters you need to pay attention to first of all:
- Device type. There are the following types of radios: CB, PMR, LPD, VHF / UHF. The CB version is used for use outside the city, in open areas. Obstacles play an important role as this type of transmitter cannot overcome them. PMR is well suited for urban environments. Radios of this type overcome any obstacles (even in the form of an array of high-rise residential buildings). The LPD variant performs well in almost any condition. And the VHF / UHF standard is professional. Works great in the mountains, big city, dense forest. It would help if you chose a standard by your requirements for the device.
- Transmitter power. Affects the range of the radio. The higher the power, the greater the distance you can count on when negotiating. Models with transmitters up to 2 watts provide high-quality communication at a distance of 1 km. Transmitters with a power of 3-4 W are capable of providing communication at a distance of 5 km. But 5 W models can freely cover a distance of 10 km on rough terrain. In this regard, it is better not to waste time on trifles. You never know how far you will be from each other.
- Working frequencies. This is important because, according to the Russian Federation’s legislation, radio amateurs are allowed to operate only on certain frequencies. If they get to the prohibited ones, they will break the law, which will entail administrative responsibility. The danger also lies in the fact that the user can get on the special services’ broadcasting frequencies. Then the punishment will be more significant. Therefore, you need to check in which ranges the radio works before purchasing it.
- Hull protection. It is assumed that the radio is a device that will be used in any conditions (for example, for hunting in the forest or fishing). In this case, the device will be exposed to external influences. Including moisture may get in. Therefore, many models are equipped with a protected case. If you plan to use the open-air devices, then it is better to choose the appropriate model.
- Weight. We advise you to take this parameter into account when choosing which walkie-talkie to buy for tourism. In this case, it is much more convenient if the weight of the device will not strain. Of course, this does not apply to professional models. By definition, they should be heavy.
- Food. The selection of batteries is an important part of the process. Modern devices can be equipped with built-in Li-Pol, Li-Ion rechargeable batteries or Ni-Cd – Ni-Hg cells. The latter are preferable in terms of practicality. Failed batteries can be replaced at any time. And for models with a battery, you will have to look for an outlet for charging, which is very problematic in a hike.
- The presence of the display. This option is optional. But the presence of the screen allows you to fine-tune the frequency, apply the required settings in the menu, and so on. So many people choose models with screens. Moreover, most of them are backlit.
- External antenna. It allows you to significantly increase the sensitivity of the transmitter and improve the quality of communication. If the device has a detachable antenna, it is worth checking whether it is included in the device’s delivery set. Some models have built-in antennas for signal reception. They often do not have sufficient characteristics. Therefore, such gadgets are equipped with additional jacks for connecting more powerful external antennas.
- Speaker quality. The clarity and clarity of the transmitted sound depend on it. Inexpensive models are most often equipped with simple speakers that are unable to convey voice normally. The power, as well as the quality of this component, is worth paying attention to. And even better – listen to it in the store when choosing and evaluate the radio’s work. You should also choose a high-quality speaker if the radio station does not support headset connections. Then the emitter will be the only means of reproduction, and this is already critical.
- Manufacturers rating. When choosing which walkie-talkie is better, brand reliability should be considered. The following firms are considered to be market leaders:
- Motorola. Most respected manufacturer. Has a wide range of models.
- COMRADE. Produces mainly, professional models.
- TurboSky. Works on modern gadgets.
- UNION. Domestic manufacturer with good quality devices.
- TEREK. The company produces professional walkie-talkies.
- Baofeng. Specializes in the budget segment.